Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver [Exclusive Turquoise and Purple Marble]
The 12-song set was co-produced by Charlie Sexton & Freddy Fletcher and features renditions of Shaver songs lovingly recorded by Willie Nelson and Lucinda Williams, George Strait, Miranda Lambert, Nathaniel Rateliff, Ryan Bingham and Nikki Lane, Steve Earle, Edie Brickell, Rodney Crowell, Margo Price, Allison Russell, and Amanda Shires.
The Texas singer-songwriter who died on October 28th, 2020 was an integral member of the Outlaw Country movement. A favorite among music legends, Johnny Cash once called Shaver “my favorite songwriter,” while Willie Nelson declared, “Billy Joe is definitely the best writer in Texas.” Upon the announcement of Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver, Nelson said, “He was just real; there wasn’t one phony drop of blood in him.” AllMusic called Shaver’s songs “among the greatest in the whole history of the (country) genre” while the Washington Post said, “When the country outlaws were collecting their holy writings, Billy Joe Shaver was carving out Exodus.”
From his album liner notes, co-producer Freddy Fletcher wrote of Shaver, “His influence on the greatest of artists is what inspired this project. The album is a testament to his words and their deep impact on wonderful songwriters and performers. He’s a hero to so many, and we are honored to pay homage to his legacy.”
- Willie Nelson - "I’m Gonna Live Forever"
- Ryan Bingham - "Ride Me Down Easy"
- Rodney Crowell - "Old Five And Dimers"
- Miranda Lambert - "I’m Just An Old Chunk Of Coal"
- Edie Brickell - "I Couldn’t Be Me Without You"
- Nathaniel Rateliff - "You Asked Me To"
- George Strait - "Willy The Wandering Gypsy And Me"
- Amanda Shires - "Honky Tonk Heroes"
- Steve Earle - "Ain’t No God In Mexico"
- Margo Price - "Ragged Old Truck"
- Willie Nelson - "Georgia On A Fast Train"
- Allison Russell - "Tramp On Your Street"